January 9, 2013

Otto Bulut - SEAT

Otto Bulut is the latest SEAT, Seattle Experimental Animation Team, artist to utilize the Red Wall for a stop-motion animation film project. As part of SEAT's residency, each artist is allotted 6-months of wall time to develop their project. Some insights into the process from Otto:

"The shoot at the wall was a great experience and was a first for me in a couple of ways.  It was my first time directing a crew on a live shoot and my first time doing pixelation (stop-motion with human models).  My expertise is in 2D puppet animation (shadow puppets and paper doll) and 2D computer animation (Flash, After Effects) and I have rarely had the opportunity to work with a crew.
Otto Bulut
The shoot went surprisingly smoothly.  I came in knowing what I wanted to get on film but not having a technical plan on how to execute it.  Seven members of S.E.A.T. showed up and worked it out with me, quickly coming up with a plan on how to get my vision captured.  I felt like our collective experience really came together to make it a fun learning experience. 

Saskia Delores with SEAT animators, Salise Hughes and Tess Martin
I am also so very grateful to the members of the community that came out to lend a hand.  The five of them were so patient and good-natured during the slow and demanding process of animation.
This experience gave me much inspiration to finish the project which is a music video for Saskia Delores, the rest of which will mostly be stop-motion with painted 2D puppets. As an added benefit, it made me excited to work with teams and live shoots in the future, directions I have long wanted to explore."


Otto with SEAT animators, Stefan Gruber and Britta Johnson, and crew
For more info on Otto Bulut - here and here 
Photos courtesy of the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment